Saturday, May 14, 2011

It is finished

_DSC0129

Well my friends, it's all over. I pedaled onto the beach on Thursday with a big grin and headed straight for the water. It's been a grand total of fifty days on the road and every second has been incredible. I've yelled obscenities at the wind in Texas, I've flipped off a handful of horrible drivers (mostly in Arizona), I've laughed while riding out of the mountains in Southern New Mexico, and I've shared amazing evenings and nights with people that have inspired me. That's what I come back to in my mind when I look back on the last month and a half. I would have quit the first week had I not discovered early on that at the end of a long day of riding waits an undiscovered stranger capable of restoring something in my soul that a lonely road will begin to remove. If nothing else this trip has taught me that cynicism is something a man creates in his own seclusion. All you've got to do is get out of your home, your car, and allow yourself the vulnerability to experience the goodness in people that begins with eye contact and simple curiosity. We have sheltered ourselves here in America and the walls we put up destroy our understanding of the common ground we can find in any person, in any place.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the people that have kept me and fed me. Collectively, you have made this possible and I'll never forget you.

Get on the bike!

-Nate



3 comments:

  1. i have a tear in my eyeball. love this and LOVE that you did it!!!!! i want you to go on another trip now so i can keep reading your ever so inspiring blog...or maybe i will this time :) cant wait to see you! cheers, kelly
    i hear bagpipes being played outside of my apt right now. crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally made it. :)

    I can only imagine what kind of personal growth, knowledge, and understanding could come from an adventure like this. I'm sure it was cleansing to face the fears of being alone and conquer the world and meet the strangers that are just like us, but yet so different.

    Thanks for sharing your journey with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it and thrilled to be a part of the story. Come back to Texas whenever you want, there will always be room.

    ReplyDelete